Saturday, April 28, 2012

Jounal Jar - Dances

What were your high school dances like?
    This one was a little harder.  I did go to a few school dances, in fact the girls in our ward used to exchange dresses so that none of us had to spend a lot of money to have something new to wear.  I remember going to at least two.  I was not much of a dancer so they weren't anything that I looked forward to.  In fact I am embarrassed to say that one was very loud and it gave me a headache and then when the young man asked to go out to eat I said, "It's fast Sunday tomorrow, just take me home."  I decided it is a good thing I didn't date much in high school because I was rude.  I do remember that school dances were held at the school unlike the ones my kids went to at hotels or places already decorated nicely.  A committee would spend all day decorating the gym or lunch room for ours which involved more kids that way but I wonder who bought the supplies etc.
    The dances I remember liking were the ones put on by the ward.  As a Laurel I spent all day decorating and then dancing that night, I remember doing the bunny hop one time in a knee length red dress and having the back seam rip out at the dance from the bottom to nearly the waste, I went home.  The other favorite dances were held in a barn.  I must have danced at them to remember having a good time but I don't remember doing that anymore.  I took a couple of dance classes at BYU and had a few guys work hard to teach me different dances, even though I wish I could dance decently now my life is still fulfilled without dances.

No comments: