Sunday, June 16, 2013

Toys

Journal Jar - What toys did you like to play with? Why?
I put this picture of sugarbeets because they were one of my favorite toys...we used to go out in the field and fix cavities, down at the bus stop beets would fall of the trucks when they turned the corner so we would ice skate on pieces of the beets.
I liked this picture because baby dolls of one sort or another were also a favorite toy.
Water was always a pastime, I have to laugh at how many river dams we made so that we would have a swimming hole to swim in.  I don't remember ever swimming, just building.
I like this picture because it show my doll house in the background that Dad made for me.  I still have it.  Then of course the hotwheels track and house.
This picture shows what came before fisher price...the animals are plastic but the barn was metal.  We had this farm and a gas station garage that I remember playing with a lot.
And finally is a picture of Julie with two of my most favorite dolls.  Bambam and Pebbles.  One of Julie's is in the middle.  I got these dolls the year Julie was born I think and had them clear up until just a couple of years ago.  I finally brought myself to give them to DI.  Apparently Aunt Margean was commissioned to make doll clothes for them (they were ordered, so she made clothes before they came)  When they finally came she found out they weren't the same size at all.  Bambam was double Pebbles' size so he had boy and girl clothes and she had clothes coming after Christmas. 
Toys that were not purchased were also very much a part of our lives.  Blocks the were made into grocery store items, a bottle of mercury was a favorite for changing pennies to dimes, rolling on hands or on the table, another was the fire pit where we could make black mud to pave dirt roads with, or melt lead into different shapes, haystacks to build forts and hide aways in.  Bikes were also a great toy.
We were a very rich family in so many ways having grown up on the farm.  I can't believe how blessed we were and are, and what a great job Dad and Mom did to make it so.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Love this post. We did have fun didn't we.