Saturday, December 6, 2008

Who gave us the love of flowers?

I pose the question..... who gave us the love of flowers?

I really do love plants and flowers in particular.
Here are some pictures from our childhood that show huge flowers.

The first is Karen with Dahlias(?) I think...I don't ever remember growing them at home.

Larry has an IPhone (?) with lots of wild flowers that he and Cari collected and knows the names of.

Mom has always grown many different kinds of flowers over the years.
Zinnias
Glads
Roses
The climbing vines....clematis (?)
Etc.
The 2nd is a picture of Grandma Ottie which reminded me that she grew roses and more roses, so that you couldn't even get in to see different ones because they grew so close together. I also loved her (star flower) growing just inside the door where the drops of nectar were so fun to eat.

Which reminded me that Dad always went out and got a rose bud for his Sunday lapel.

The 3rd picture has Dale & Larry with a row of large zinnias.

Last but not least here are a few of the flowers that Mom had growing this last summer ....

I love flowers outside, inside, wild, or tame and it just got me wondering .... it is a nice heritage.


I remember hollyhocks in front of the grainery, I planted a kind of purple daisy type plant that Mom had to battle afterwards because it spread like a weed, I loved the tulips and bleedingheart, hiacinhts there in front of the house, I liked the little tiny, tiny violet that I found in the growing in the lawn and moved to Moms garden by the front steps and then found that it took over a huge section like a weed (which it must have been inorder to grow up in the lawn) .... I don't know if she even now knows that I did that. I find that I take pictures of flowers of all kinds when I travel too.
What comes to mind when you all think of flowers?

1 comment:

mcewen16 said...

As your pictures show from this summer, I'm pretty sure Grandma (Lecia) preserved the DeCoursey/Hanks love of flowers. Her outdoor garden is gorgeous during the summer, and her indoor plants keep her going year 'round. I have what is now a large Christmas cactus (blooming beautifully right now, by the way) that came from a sprig of Grandma's. So she's definitely who I think of.