Saturday, May 9, 2009

Grandparents What are your memories?

I was very blessed to live near both sets of grandparents ... so I will divide the posts. Moms parents first ... Mom told me that Mary was given the choice in her teens of getting a camera or a watch for her birthday or Christmas and she chose a camera so we have snap shots of her teen years which is wonderful...
Harvard served in the Army in World War I ... (I had always thought his hip wound was from the war but later found out it was a farm accident with a tractor) Either way he was amazingHere is a picture of the farm ... the house was a great old house it is hidden in the trees in this picture. I have always loved (my version) how he came to settle in this part of Idaho ... seeing the country side while traveling for military training he came back to the area after the war... then being prayerful he bought a good farm, but it was not as nice as many that were for sale at the time, however because of that when the depression hit he was able to keep it, the previous owner didn't want it back and was willing to take whatever Harvard could offer as a monthly payment until things got better. Many of his buddies lost the "perfect farms" because they couldn't make the payments.
Family was always very important to them, we had organized family reunions for a long time. I still can sing "I'm my own grandpa" and some of "Supercalafragilisticespealodosios" can't spell it though from learning it way back for a Tetonia reunion (for some reason the David Hanks family couldn't go at the very end and they were supposed to sing the Super song) I think that was the one where Dave collected a huge number of toadstools etc. That was how I found my twin cousin....we were born very close to the same time. They always had a camper and went camping, they always had dogs, and cats on the farm. Mary used to know the cows genealogy...she would name them and then the offspring would be named with the same first letter of the mom etc....she knew each one. They both worked extremely hard. There were gooseberries near the door and near the scary hole that would swallow us kids up forever if we went near it. One of her cats used to go out in the garden and strip open a corn ear right on the stalk and eat the corn. I remember getting sick at their house most of the time if I was left there overnight (poor grandma). There was also a candy jar in the kitchen cupboard that we would hope to have come down so that we could pick something from it.There was a story about Grandpa's nose announcing him outside the door when dating Grandma he had a very distinctive blow, they always had a garden, I love the fact that they were close enough for me to know them and love them.
I thank them for our half our heritage...and am grateful that they were faithful in the church. They had 4 girls and then 3 boys ... buried a daughter and a son before they left this earth.
I miss them but know that they are busy working and preparing the way for their posterity on the other side.

What are some memories you have about your grandparents?

No comments: