Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Grandparents the other half....

Here are my dad's parents....courting before there were cars
They bought a farm in Idaho in 1913 and farmed there until their son bought it and then he farmed it until retirement....
They actually lived where my living room ended up...they moved the house up the road a little ways ... I remember losing my first tooth and running around to the being built living room to tell my dad and gdad. We always called my dad's parents grandma & granddad and my mom's parents were grandma & grandpa.....
This is how I remember them looking the most. They both fished, hunted, farmed, gardened. I remember once we wanted to get gma and new dress and asked my dad what her favorite color was....he thought for a while and then said he guessed brown because she was always working in the dirt.
Here is gdad with sugar beets....that was the main crop for quite awhile. Gma grew berries and roses in her yard....it was a jungle of stickers...but yummy.
My gdad had prostate cancer and the surgery changed him (made him more emotional and aged) I love this picture because he shows his love for his wife. I too always felt love from him. He was tall, he died in 1978 in a car accident.
One of my favorite stories about gma is that she couldn't stand dandelions or gophers .... but when she went to live with aunt Florence she would go outside in her chair, with a butcher knife and dig out the dandelions right to the very end. Aunt Florence wasn't so sure her lawn would survive.
I have the greatest family ever and it started in my life with both sets of grandparents ... I love them and thank them for the heritage that I enjoy.....

2 comments:

Karen said...

Kayleen, I loved seeing your memories of Gr and Gr DeCoursey! I hope you are printing these pages off for a scrap book for your kids...or putting them on a CD or DVD. One thing you might want to check on though,...my record shows that Grandad died on August 17, 1978, not 1976. Keep up the blogging! Even though you have lame brothers and sisters who haven't gotten into it, I really enjoy checking your's to see what you've done. It's great! Good work.

Kayleen said...

You are right and luckily it is possible to change posts so it is now fixed....Thanks