Sunday, July 5, 2009

What were some of the household rules?

When you were a child what were the household rules? ....I guess it has been awhile since I was a child because I can't remember very many rules but I am sure there were the normal ones.... like "be nice", "don't hit", "if you use a tool put it back".

4- Don't play with matches....

5- Enjoy Nature and God's creations ..... probably #2 rule right after being nice...


6- NO cats or dogs in the house...which we only broke once that I remember where we turned the drawers in the blue room into a cat hospital and wrapped the cats various "pretend" wounds and laid them in the drawers to recover. (the cats loved the attention even if it meant being bothered with mummy wraps & shut "almost" in a drawer)

7- Once there was a do not cross the line in Dave & Larry's room but it was strictly for them since they were trying to share the room.

8- Don't drive into ditches....actually that was a grand kids rule...


9- Take a bath once a week, Saturday night preferable .... that wasn't a problem later but as a kid it was.

10- If you catch a fish clean it.

11- Eat your dinner before dessert. Don't take more than you can eat.

12- Comb your hair before coming to the table. (Especially at breakfast) be ready to meet the day and respect your family

13- Do your chores before playing . cows can't feed themselves and they do tattle so do cats but they could feed themselves


14- Never take eggs from a sitting hen (that was my rule but the real rule was definitely take eggs from a sitting hen) They are scary


15- No Don Knotts movies (my Mom hated his voice...I have seen most of his movies)


16- Don't pop the clutch on a tractor and don't get ran over by a vehicle.


17- Close the gates....cows may not be smart but they sure know when they can get out.


18- I remember one fishing trip the rule was "Don't look at the sun" Apparently there was an eclipse but I didn't know what that was then but I do still remember the rule.

This has ended up being a random post but it was fun for me .... most rules brought up a particular incident or memory. Take time to do your own.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Kayleen, that was fun. Do you recall the time you and I had a "line" in our bedroom over which you were not to cross? It was when we shared the room above the new livingroom. I think I was going through a "neat" phase and thought you were not. I'm sure I don't recall correctly, but I remember drawing a line in the carpet and your stuff was not to be on my side. Don't remember how long it lasted.

I also remember a rule that we broke pretty often, because it was so much fun to play in the mud. We weren't supposed to mess up the ditch banks or the furrows in the garden.

Kayleen said...

Another one that I learned, the hard way was, don't hop over an electic fence while wading in water... I didn't remember the line until you said but I am sure I was messier.