Describe what the family living room looked like when you were a child.....
This is how the house started out I believe ... right next door to Granddad & Grandma's house ... which later was moved up the road to where it stands now. The picture below is how the house looked after Dad finished adding on to it.
This could be an interesting question for kids that lived in house after house but luckily for me I grew up in the same house my whole growing up years. However the living room did evolve as all living rooms do. The entire room changed when Dad added on the new big living room just before Julie was born.
My memory may be faulty but I do think I remember this maroon chair or at least the pattern, because I used to trace it with my finger. This was the living room that the grand kids all knew as the dining room with the orange, yellow and brown carpet. However for us it was the living room with wood floors, that is about all I remember of it though.
Julie would have known only the big one. I found it interesting that the only pictures of indoors were at Christmas time, which makes sense with the cameras and expense of film back then, only pictures of special occasions were worth taking. The couches pictured below were the ones I remember the very most...saying prayers kneeling in front of them with my arms folded on them and my face down on the cushion ... (I am certainly not a descriptive writer but I do remember the smell of the couch while thinking about this senario) They didn't smell bad, they smelled of home and a bit dusty.
I know Mom always wanted some nice ones and these were getting very worn ... she finally was able to get them covered with new fabric pictured below....
I always loved the way Dad built in a bookcase ... even though growing up I don't remember seeing him read a lot of books he showed a love of reading and a respect for Mom and her reading to make a special place for books. I remember getting the bible story book #2 out because it had the most beautiful picture in it. It was the picture of Eve's face close up. You can see the record player there in back too.
Later the living room evolved with the circle fireplace ... and then after we kids were pretty much out of the house Mom was finally able to get matching furnishings and furniture. It ended up a very beautiful room. I remember going home one time and realizing what good taste Mom had even though she had, had to contain it for many years, until there was more money and not so many little ones bouncing around ruining it.
This is how the house started out I believe ... right next door to Granddad & Grandma's house ... which later was moved up the road to where it stands now. The picture below is how the house looked after Dad finished adding on to it.
This could be an interesting question for kids that lived in house after house but luckily for me I grew up in the same house my whole growing up years. However the living room did evolve as all living rooms do. The entire room changed when Dad added on the new big living room just before Julie was born.
My memory may be faulty but I do think I remember this maroon chair or at least the pattern, because I used to trace it with my finger. This was the living room that the grand kids all knew as the dining room with the orange, yellow and brown carpet. However for us it was the living room with wood floors, that is about all I remember of it though.
Julie would have known only the big one. I found it interesting that the only pictures of indoors were at Christmas time, which makes sense with the cameras and expense of film back then, only pictures of special occasions were worth taking. The couches pictured below were the ones I remember the very most...saying prayers kneeling in front of them with my arms folded on them and my face down on the cushion ... (I am certainly not a descriptive writer but I do remember the smell of the couch while thinking about this senario) They didn't smell bad, they smelled of home and a bit dusty.
I know Mom always wanted some nice ones and these were getting very worn ... she finally was able to get them covered with new fabric pictured below....
I always loved the way Dad built in a bookcase ... even though growing up I don't remember seeing him read a lot of books he showed a love of reading and a respect for Mom and her reading to make a special place for books. I remember getting the bible story book #2 out because it had the most beautiful picture in it. It was the picture of Eve's face close up. You can see the record player there in back too.
Later the living room evolved with the circle fireplace ... and then after we kids were pretty much out of the house Mom was finally able to get matching furnishings and furniture. It ended up a very beautiful room. I remember going home one time and realizing what good taste Mom had even though she had, had to contain it for many years, until there was more money and not so many little ones bouncing around ruining it.I like the fact that it was a living room that we could gather in and live in and not worry about ruining anything that was too special and most of all feel loved.
Any siblings that would like to correct me I would welcome their comments. My memories are different I am sure from theirs, after all they are all older than I am except for Julie. We did have a TV in the big living room but I don't think we did before that. I like to remember that Mom would fill the room with the quilting frames and quilts which made it fun to live underneath until a tack was found with the knee. Timothy wounded himself on the fireplace one vacation by diving on pillows and going on over the top of them splitting his cheek open on the rock around the fire place. The living room also housed Dave's fish tank with sea life in it for quite awhile. The piano, and later the dresser with all the grand kids pictures on top also were part of the room It was a good room.
It makes me wonder what my kids will remember about our living rooms ...
No comments:
Post a Comment