Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hobbies

Journal Jar ... What are your hobbies?



Hobbies change over the years ... they change because of knowledge, boredom, need and ability.


Childhood hobbies .... It is funny that I don't remember my things but I do remember some of Dave's which I enjoyed. Like pigeons where he went and trapped some and after a little time they were completely his, having squabs etc. another was his hawk "Chester" and I am pretty sure there was a magpie, and then my favorite was his salt water fish tank and then other fish. A favorite memory was the work involved to save the baby fish from the parent fish.

I think one of my first hobbies was sewing: out of the need to have clothing for the kids and self, I am very glad to know how but I don't think it was ever a "I love doing it"


I discovered plastic canvas and made lots of things for decoration and for use ...
A closely related hobby was crossstitch I found it very relaxing to sit and create ... I looked at crossstitch as a parable of life. Taking raw material that by itself is nothing but one stitch at a time starts to form a pattern and then a beautiful picture. Often we can't see what we are making but if we follow a pattern and continue one stitch at a time it ends up a beautiful piece of work.....even with the occasional redo.
One hobby that I have always had has been growing plants.
I have to have a plant of some sort growing inside or out and preferably both in and out. They come and they go but there is always some. (too many in Gerald's eyes usually) I get it from Mom who has always had a plant window or room.
More recently I went to pictures ... which surprizes me because I had never been good at taking pictures and for 30 years I just put them in a box. What a waste since it is so difficult to go back and figure out a date or year even.












Then last but not least I have picked up indexing
and geneology. I love taking a barely readable record and putting it in a format that will allow others to find their ancestors ...
It has been a joy.
I have a need to start sewing again ... to rescue many of my clothes right now. If I can't fix them then I need to throw them out.
I would love to crosstitch again ... and maybe after my eyes are fixed I can finish a few of the projects that I have here.
I will continue collecting, scanning and looking at pictures and also indexing. These are just a few of the items that make life grand.
That reminds me that music is also one of my hobbies ... so I am sure there are many things out there that I am just not remembering at this time.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

Silly me, reading is also something that I have loved doing since the 5th grade.