What are your childhood memories of going to church?
We always went as a family, and we were very faithful attenders, not only going and believing but also living what was taught at least most of the time.
One thing that changed, is when I was young, we went to Sunday school in the morning like 9 or 10 o'clock and then Sacrament meeting in the evening I remember 7:30pm. Priesthood meeting was earlier in the morning than Sunday school so we made at least three trips to the church each Sunday. Primary and Mutual was held on weekday evenings and Relief Society was held during the day on Wed or Tues. On Primary day we would get picked up at school and all ride to primary in a car pool (often in the back of a stationwagon without seat belts actually without a seat) that is where I learned to turn my eyelids inside out and other cool stuff.
During church I remember liking to sit on my Dad's lap at church and roll his tie up under his chin, then at random times he would release it and as long as I didn't laugh out loud we could do it, but I usually laughed. He would also make a rocking twin babies out of his handkerchief.
We had a cool building in that it was I think either the first building in Nampa or close to it and so it was added on to and then added on to again ... so there were actually 4 levels but it was only 2 stories high with a basement....split level would be a more descriptive way of saying it I guess ... anyway it made for great hide and seek games. Definitely not a round and round church design.
I also remember that I would either get car sick or sleep on the short drive from home to church, only 7 miles. (I am glad I out grew that) I used to also get a ride home with my friend Nancy - because they had a tradition of going to the Dairy Queen for a ice cream cone after church. That stopped when the prophet reemphasized not going to stores etc on Sunday.
There was also a short time when I was afraid to go to church due to the fact that I felt everytime we did a pet would be killed on the road. (I still remember those feelings but I can only remember our big Labradore being killed that way)
No comments:
Post a Comment