Journal Jar-How did you learn to drive? What was your first car like?
I think I learned much like the grand kids have learned.....I remember driving a small tractor when I was eight. Dad would get it going then jump down and get the ditch burner going, I would steer until we came to the end of the ditch and Dad would climb back on to stop the tractor. I was too light to push the clutch down enough to stop the tractor. It must have gone very slow because the propane hose wasn't that long....or else I miss remember. I do know I learned to drive by driving tractors. When I was 14 I took driver education and drove a car for the instructor...he used to have me drive either to or from the area he wanted us to practice in because as he said at least once he didn't trust the other students. We were able to have a license at 14 because we lived on a farm...it was only for daylight driving. Then at 16 we could then drive at night too.
The car I claim as mine was the 4 door green Datsun I had to look hard at pictures to find one with it in a picture .... it was mine my junior and senior year ... while Dave was on his mission. Then it was his again.
This however is the car I remember the most ... I don't know that I ever drove it however. The wonderful Rambler. If I remember correctly Dale rolled it and yet all except rattling it was fine...and so was he.
I loved learning to drive....I always got car sick but after learning to drive that faded away. Maybe it was the age but I think it changed how I looked at the outside world while driving.
No comments:
Post a Comment