Sunday, February 19, 2012

Outdoor Work

Journal Jar - What kind of outdoor work do you like? Hate? Why?

I love the outdoors.  I can't think of anything that I hate to do that is outside, with that said though I think that when you have to do the same thing over and over and over it loses it's savor.  I remember liking to mow the lawn I love the smell, the green shoes, the design left behind, the accomplishment,  however I don't live where I have to do it every week.  (I think I would get tired of it.)  I liked irrigating with Dad but I think it was because it was with Dad and I didn't "have" to do it.  (I used in a fathers day talk once the analogy of how hard it was to walk in boots and step clear across the water rows (corrugates) unless I held my Dad's hand ... if I had a hold of his hand I could do everything.  I liked feeding the animals on the farm but I think it was because I didn't have to do it all the time.  One thing I did much of the time was drive the tractor in the fields ... but I loved doing that too because it was outside, and I was very glad that Dad trusted me.  (probably shouldn't have)  So with writing down these thoughts, the underlying reason for my liking outdoor work was my Dad and his example and love.
I had the opportunity to be trained for dental receptionist and assistant when I was graduating from high school ... I remember turning it down because I would never have an indoor job.  (That was not smart)  We all need an indoor job as we grow older.
We used to go to the church farm and hoe or weed the beets...that wasn't always fun, picking the fruit or vegetables weren't always fun because it took a long time.  I moved where I don't even have to weed the yard that often.....so I can look back with fondness to everything.   The tasks I don't like tend to be indoors however I think it was because they never end .. dishes, cooking, cleaning..... Is it because they are inside?
The lawn doesn't look as good as I remember .... it was a constant expense too to try and keep it green, weed free, etc.  I think I am glad I live where I can go out when I want but I don't have to do outside chores.  This way I can continue to love the outdoors.

No comments: