Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sundays ....

I would really like to get others input on this one but I will try to put down what I remember of church schedules in "the old days".
Early on Sunday morning, priesthood meeting was held.  Then dad and the brothers would come home and pick up the rest of the family and go back to Sunday school and Jr Sunday school.  The sacrament was passed in both meetings during opening exercises (I hope we had more young men because it was double needed).  I think that is how I learned so firmly to pass the sacrament only with your right hand and to always have the person beside me serve it too me because we can't save ourselves without Christ.  We learned music and had classes.  Some of the good things about this is even I had a call to play the piano for a summer in Jr SS.  One of the pros about this is even I had a call to play the piano for a summer in Jr SS.  We would go home and have lunch etc.
Then in the evening 7 pm we would have Sacrament meeting. 
Sunday was about the only day I had a friend over. Nancy Stettler because it gave us a set, short time (Mom didn't prefer that activity but it was convenient to have a pick up point and a drop off point where we would be anyway).  
Primary , YM YW wound RS would meet on different days of the week. So some families went to the church every day of the week almost. Auxiliaries would take August off with no meetings during the week.
I think it gave more opportunity for youth to have callings, I taught primary fairly early on. 

Primary: the things I remember were the primary parade where we would bring in our pennies and follow the primary color flags in and up to give our pennies to the primary children's hospital.  It was difficult sometimes because there was a candy store basically in the parking lot and it too had lots of penny candy that was our big temptation as a kid.  We would car pool from school .. that's how I learned to turn my eyelids inside out.

 My first cross stitch...                                                                                       My primary bandilow..
 Camp awards ....
 Above is a year reward  for YW certificate ..

YM, YW's was called Mutual most of the time .. we had opening exercises, that is where I learned the 13 article of faith so well.  We would repeat a theme each opening exercises.  I had a bandalow to put rewards on to continue what we did in Primary I guess.  Then I had yearly personal progress books etc.   RS was held during the day it was also more like a club in that there were dues.  They also had a bazaar at the end of the year to earn money.  I loved the bazaar, they had all kinds of food, grab bags home made everything.  It reminds me of "Polly Anna's church fair".  RS also had a magazine,  I only remember lots of poetry with pictures.  It saved me many a school project that needed creativity.   This also brought to mind stake conference where we went in the morning the different wards were assigned to make box lunches to sell and then we had conference again that evening the lunches were for people that traveled in for conference and then again there was two sessions on Sunday I don't remember what they did for lunch on those days.

There were a few changes along like RS and Priesthood were at the same time Sunday morning for working sisters or ones without kids.  Then came the block program ... It came to be to the whole church Mar 2 1980.  I can remember because I skipped that day to have my first born son.

No comments: