Sunday, October 14, 2012

Who was your favorite teacher? Why?

Journal Jar - Who was your favorite teacher? Why?
When giving this some thought I came up with 2 grade school teachers 1 high school teacher and then I thought of Seminary teachers.  Which then reminded me of 1 young women's teacher. 
Over the years I have had many teachers and have been influenced by them all, some for the good and of course a few for the worst.
This was Mrs Landon when Larry went to school above and her when I went to school about 9 years later.
Mrs. Landon was my first grade teacher, I think my siblings all had her too.  She was principal for Julie.  She was the first teacher I had that was outside of my family and not a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.  She was a great teacher and person.  She loved her students and wanted the best for them.  She died of cancer several years back and before she did she asked for a blessing, she had learned about the church over time from her students and their parents.
I remember her saying when I was in her class that she could always tell which kids were members of that particular church because they were better behaved and prepared for sitting in school.  (I don't think that would be the same these days)
The other grade school teacher that came to mind was Mrs. Farmer, my 4th grade teacher.  She also loved her students and wanted the very best for them.  She did the extra things such as teaching us how and then umpiring baseball games at recess, she also took the kids that walked home out and served as crossing guard on the highway.  That is how she died...one winter day she took the kids out and got them across the road, then a car seeing kids panicked and hit her brakes and kept the brake on going into a skid on slick roads and skidded clear across the 4 lane highway and pinned Mrs Farmer against the school fencing.  I was in the 5th grade when that happened.  I love Idaho because of the history she taught.
The HS teacher I thought of was Mrs Schmidt our choir director.  She also loved her students and music and wanted us to make the best of ourselves then and in the future.  I don't know how she got me to sing solo for two state competitions. I love singing and she is one of the reasons.
Seminary teacher was Bro Chandler and his wife was my young women's teacher beehive year....they had great influence for good in my life.  I used to baby sit their kids...I remember one time the kids brought me a wooden spoon and said it was to be used if they were bad.....I asked if they were going to be bad and they said no so we put the spoon back in the kitchen.   I have to admit that I love that family.  Gerald had his reasons for wanting to name our first born son Phillip but I liked the idea because of the young man just above.  Phillip Chandler .... it is who you know with a name as to if you could name a child that name or not.

Great teachers have a great work to do.
Thanks to all the teachers that influenced my life for good.

No comments: