As usual I can't think of a "single" story.
Living in Tucson for the last 26 years or so has softened my memories of winter storms. I turned to pictures to joggle my memory and it did.
I had forgotten how much I loved watching icicles grow .. melt and grow some more. I remember that one year we did have one that wouldn't melt during the day but went from the house to the ground. That didn't happen often. I loved breaking off an icicle and sucking on it while playing.
We did get snow storms but I don't remember any more than another. I remember sledding on Uncle David's hill, and as ward activities up in the mountains. I remember one time going up I believe towards Cascade with Uncle David's family, one time the hill was a little steep and ended on the road and then the creek so cars were placed strategically to stop the distance riders. I am pretty sure that Uncle David made it over the cars once. Just outside of Boise was a great hill with only telephone poles occasionally in the way.
More often than not what came with winter was fog....I loved the frost that covered everything with crystals.
Those are power lines behind the tree so you can better judge the thickness of the frost.
No snow just frost ... so beautiful.
We did get snow the best year ever was the year we had a giant snowman....Julie sat on the shoulder for a picture but I have never found that picture I only remember her there. The head was so heavy we had to use the front loader tractor to put in up and on. I remember the snowman melting after all the rest of the snow was long gone....he started to bow and bowed all the way to the ground. We also made snow forts by rolling snow wheels instead of balls. One year the snow drifted and filled up the drain ditch so Dave dug a snow tunnel....far enough to need a extra air hole to be safe.
This field between Granddad and Grandma's house and ours was great for tractor sledding. One year we rode on a car hood....the chain only broke once that I remember. We were lucky but it was sooo fun.
The year of my engagement Mom and I went shopping however the snow and ice built up on the road and we hit a patch and lump and spun the car around....we didn't go any farther that day. Snow and winter is so beautiful while sitting in a warm home with a wonderful fire but so deadly without heat, or being outside. I am glad that I don't have any horrible memories from winters.
Aunt Florence living in Cascade had more I am sure....they had freezing temps about opposite from the sunny days we now have in Tucson. I can't find the picture but there is one with the snow way above the cars with a little track cut through it.


110.jpg)








No comments:
Post a Comment