Sunday, May 5, 2013

What callings

Journal Jar - What calling have you held or served in?

I think my first calling besides in presidencies as a youth was teaching Primary, then junior Sunday School piano player.  While attending BYU I was a Relief Society teacher, Sunday School Teacher, 1st counselor in Relief Society.  One summer when I went home I was asked to teach 3 genealogy lessons for Relief Society.  The first lesson I dressed up like a clown, did a cartwheel into the classroom and said, "we need to stop clowning around and get to doing our genealogy".  What a ham!  I am sure I taught ladies that were twice my age and up something new about genealogy.  After I was married I was called to Young Women to teach the Beehives, nursery and so forth.  I haven't spent much time teaching Sunday school and after I moved to Tucson I haven't been given the opportunity to teach young women either.  I have had various callings since.  The hardest were relief society president; I enjoyed the most Stake RS secretary.  The most "prestigious" was stake RS pres..  I have grown or learned something from every calling and am grateful for the opportunity.   I am currently serving in my least favorite...compassionate service leader...but it is the one I probably need the most.  I always dreaded activity committee and luckily never had to do it.  I blew only one opportunity...I was called and asked if I would consider teaching an institute class....kind of.  I froze and said I would have to think about it, and when I called back they said that was OK they were just looking for names to suggest.  So I didn't get suggested.  I certainly would have grown from that one.  I haven't served in the library yet.    Life has been very good to me and given me many experiences, most of them good.

No comments: