Sunday, January 19, 2014

Musical Instrument

Journal Jar - Tell about a musical instrument you played.  What was your experience with learning to play it?  If you didn't play an instrument was there one you wanted to?

   This was a question that pulled at the heart strings.  I learned to play the piano but it is the age old story of not practicing so lessons weren't doing any good.  I think I had two years but they were invaluable to me for reading music and singing and being able to sit down and play even today.  If I practice I can still play, at least to the extent that my fingers will move.  It is enough to play for Jr Sunday School, Seminary, Priesthood meeting, and my personal enjoyment.  Enough to encourage my daughter to play.  The heart strings come in to it because I feel so sad that the old piano was too heavy and broken to survive.....it just wasn't practical but I loved it.  My daughter is feeling the same way about the one she learned on too.
   Now back to musical instruments.  Dale and maybe Larry played the one instrument we owned, a french horn.  Karen, did you play too?  I think she must have because in grade school the band teacher came into our classroom to recruit band members, the last time he came in he had to sign a paper and came down the row to sign it on my desk so that he could ask me if I had decided to play or not.  When I declined he never spoke to me again.  Karen also took piano and played much better than I did.
    Even though I didn't learn an instrument well music was always important to me.  It bothers me that people choose not to sing in church.  I still get amazed to remember that I sang solo a couple of times for competition...I just don't have the voice or control but I do still love to sing.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Kayleen, I started playing the coronet in fifth grade. Larry played it before me and Dale played the french horn. I changed to the french horn in sixth grade. I started seventh grade on the french horn, but didn't continue when I found myself pretending to play the notes because I didn't practice. Like you, I didn't do all I could have with the piano for the same reason...but I also have always been grateful for what I learned about music through those lessons.