This is a picture of my Granddad-Frank James DeCoursey and Grandma- Ottie Garber Rhodes DeCoursey and my brother- Dale Lavon DeCoursey. I found it interesting that Grandma is in pants...I don't remember her ever in pants she always wore dresses. It surprises me because I had to wear dresses to school until my junior year and then we were able to were pant suits. I guess I didn't realize pants were allowed before my day. One year for Christmas we bought Grandma a new slip to wear under her dresses. We found out that she gave it to a grandchild or at least someone else because it was too nice. So we spent a long time trying to find a flannel or heavier slip....I don't know if she used it or not. One time we asked my dad Robert Lee (her son) what her favorite color was....he said it has to be brown because she is always working in the dirt. However, her yard was crammed full of roses and berries. Another memory is the fact that she used to raise bantie hens and they ran wild in the yard.
This picture shows how I remember her except without the walker. She was always a power house of a woman. This picture shows the brownish dress style that was all hers. Aunt Florence is in the back of this picture, being the only daughter she was the one that ended up caring for grandma for the final years. My mom took care of her forever since she lived so close most of the time. I remember one day she came into the house and asked mom to patch her up....she had a v shaped opening about an inch long of skin on her arm from running into a branch out in the orchard.



2 comments:
I was away from home by this time. I really don't remember Grandma when she was this old. She sure didn't quit until she had to.
That is so true Karen. Aunt Florence told me one time that she had been so upset with her mom because she would go out in the yard sitting in a chair (wheel chair maybe) and she would have taken a big sharp knife out and would dig the weeds out of the lawn. Aunt Florence said she was afraid the lawn was not going to survive.
Post a Comment