Sunday, February 17, 2008

Apples


What do you remember about apples... One memory I have came after most of you had left home. We went hunting I am pretty sure it was in Hell's Canyon area and hiking up to a likely place we found an old homestead where all was gone except the apple trees and they were the best apples I have ever had. One filled the front pocket of my sweatshirt. Hartleys were with us and we did come home with more than apples.
At home I remember sitting in the apple trees and eating green apples etc. I had one place that was just like a high chair. I couldn't have fallen out for anything. Didn't we also have a tree where the grape vine took over so it was a grape tree instead. I vaguely remember eating grapes up in the tree instead of apples. What are some of your memories...

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

Another apple thing I remember is the yellow apple that was in the pasture and when it was ripe it was almost clear. It made the very best applesauce ever. Even when greatgrandma DeCoursey would collect everyone off of the ground to make it.

Anonymous said...

I remember the apples at Hell's Canyon. They were so good! I don't remember that Hartley's were with us. I don't know if it the same trip, but I think I got to carry the 30/30 rifle just in case I saw a deer. My imagination said I would hit it if I saw it. Reality was that there would have been slim to no chance.

I also remember the yellow "transparent" apples in the pasture. I don't remember specifics, but I am sure we must have picked an apple on the way to the bus stop from time to time.