Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Pine Tree

The pine tree has a special place in my heart.....
Larry wrote,
"I can remember using the Pine Tree as a lookout for visiting cousins like when Floyd and Elaine would visit. I would climb until I could stand (tree wobbling a bit) so my head was above the top of the tree. You're right about swaying. I had to get used to it.
I remember coming home for a visit one time after I was married. I took a saw and pruners and trimmed for hours from the top down, cutting all the dead branches out so it had a clean trimmed look again. I was covered with pine pitch and the pile on the ground was huge."

Kayleen says,
"I remember climbing up with Dave and feeling the wind move the tree so that I couldn’t climb very high but Dave would go clear up to the very top. Then all on my own I tried to climb and sit in the bend at the top…I made it to the bend but couldn’t do anything but cling to it with my stomach and arms and every other part of my body (in other words never looking up or out). I wondered if I was going to be able to make it back down to the ground.
I also remember a robin that always built her nest on the third limb up....way out so I couldn't get to it but I could see into it, the beautiful blue eggs and then babies.

I had forgotten about the pine gum until Larry mentioned it. Mom didn't ever say anything about it being on my clothes but it had to be. Larry thank you for your input."
Here is Phillip in the tree at the reunion 82.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Kayleen having a special "bond" for the tree. I couldn't figure out why she would feel that way about a pine tree. But then, I felt a bond with the trees I played in and climbed that were in my mother's yard. (She hated the elm tree, but I loved to "spy" in that tree.

Anonymous said...

Here is my second attempt at this. I wrote a comment the other day, but didn't do what I needed to do at the end to make it work. Brittany helped me know what to do. Thank goodness for tech-savy kids! I loved the pine trees. I know we used to have two of them. One (the west one) was always bigger and healthier than the other. I think I was upset when we had to cut down the weaker one. I also loved to climb up the pine tree. It seemed like Larry and Dale could always go higher and were braver than I was. I liked that the branches grew in rings around the trunk, each ring at a higher, but not too high, level. It was an easy tree to climb once you got up to the bottom ring of limbs. At least once I got up to the top. It was scary, but exhilarating!