Monday, May 26, 2008

Canals

Karen sent me some photos of Julie's and my kids playing in the ditches....that brought back memories of doing the same. I remember step, step, stepping in the silt at the end of the field and then coating our arms for evening gloves, etc. This was also the time that my boys rediscovered that Id hose water was way, way colder than home water.... I don't think they got muddy many more times after this.

The canal also was the swimming hole for a long time.

Water and kids go together...we have a fountain outside the office where I work and the kids detour to it like a magnet going in or out....it is kind of funny to watch.
We as a family went on hikes up the canyon here planning on going to 7 falls or somewhere way in but we never got past the river or first water...we would end up playing the rest of the day there instead of hiking on.
The other thing it made me think of was how much math, engineering, physics (I guess) went in to irrigating....A farmer is allotted so much water for this amount of time and has to dam the ditch so that it stays on his field then set the right amount of tubes to use the water completely but not too much and get it to the bottom of the rows in time to cover the whole field before he has to turn loose of the allotted water back to the next farmer and do all that while leaving to do all the other things that needs done. Dad is amazing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has a single child in all of history been able to withstand the attraction force of water? I can't think of an instance in my life.