Saturday, February 6, 2010

Glasses

I have been thinking about sight lately ... it was a very long time ago but some things I remember quite well I got my first pair of glasses when I was in the fifth grade....it was a warm summer day so now I wonder if it was before the fifth grade or after. (doesn't really matter)   I remember the drive home from picking them up and seeing leaves (leafs), individual leaves on trees and birds flying in the sky.  It was amazing.  When we got home I went out and saw individual blades of grass, then I laid down on the lawn and just watched the tree leaves and sky with birds etc for a long time.  It is weird that you have no idea that you can't see until you can.

I thought about posting pictures of glasses through the ages....cat eye, huge plastic, little round ones etc.  It is fun to look back and remember how great they looked at the time...

I put this picture in just for fun  (apparently I will be sporting these kind in the next year or two..

I am relearning what a magical thing sight is as I grow older it isn't as good as it used to be. 

I started this post last week before I got new glasses.......Well, I know now why I was thinking about sight....apparently someone decided to prepare me for today.  I got new glasses this past week and they killed me, I could not adjust to them. which was a new experience..it was worse than not having glasses.  Granted I had gotten the prescription almost 6 months ago, but my current glasses were 3 years old so no big deal.  However they were so bad it made switching to contacts a pleasure (so going from no contacts for months to a 12 hour day with them isn't reccommended but it was still better than the glasses).  (I know you who wear contacts don't understand that, but for me contacts are a constant problem unless in Hawaii because of dry eye)  So I took the glasses back to see if they made a mistake in the prescription....No they didn't.  So then I went back to the eye doctor to see if maybe he made a mistake in writing it down....No he didn't.  In just 6 months my eyes have not only gone way more near-sighted but also the lens changes shape from blink to blink almost.  I knew I had cataracts but I learned more about them today.  Mine aren't the kind that grow on the top of the lens and fogs up the view.  They grow on the inside or bottom or back of the lens and mess up everything...I guess both eyes now have them on the axis which means until surgery I cannot see clearly and day to day they will fight me.  The eye doctor estimated 1 to 2 years at the most before surgery.  (Some causes -- heredity, steroids, and diabetes, luck) I know Dale had cataracts but I haven't heard about any of the rest of my siblings or Dad and Mom, I don't have asthma so have not been on steroids, nor am I Mrs America, and diabetes has not raised its ugly head yet, he said I am young for getting them so that leaves luck and maybe I am lucky that they are coming early in life so it might be easier to have the surgery.  Anyway I came home feeling old, and sad, etc.     However the day here is so beautiful and sunny and bright....that I am also happy and glad to be alive.  If you have to lose one of the senses what sense could you do without?  I hope I don't have to go without any of them, I love experiencing them all.

No comments: