Monday, April 26, 2010

How far did you have to travel to attend school?

Traveling to school was always an adventure .... mainly because of our imaginations.  I think we usually went by bus for grade school.  When I was little we had the best bus driver of all ... Bernie.  He was also to janitor at Midway so he was around kids all day long.  He use to let me sit up on the ? heater beside him so under the bar and not in a seat.  That was with an old bus similar to the bus in the kids books ... magic bus or is it a TV show where the bus takes the kids on magical field trips, through water mains etc.
I remember once riding to school in the basket of Dale's bike but I don't know why since he was 10 years older so would not have been going to the grade school.    I wonder why now ... because his bike didn't have a front basket, which means he was riding one of the girls bikes.  He put a pillow in the basket so it didn't hurt to sit there, it was a memorable trip what ever the reason.
We walked down to the corner to catch the bus ... which is about a quarter of a mile.  It was down, meaning west of the house, by Richardson's pigs and over the scary big drain ditch culvert....where a troll lived, and or a dragon etc depending on the day.  I would never stop there on the road, ever.
When it was really cold I remember hunkering down in the ditch so the wind wouldn't blow on us, and a designated person would peek out until they could see the bus coming.   Sugar beet harvest was another fun time ... we would skate on the beets that fell of of trucks.  It was more fun when I was little because there were family and friends there to talk to.  However times changed and it ended up being just me for what seemed like a long time.  Probably three years thinking about Dave's age.
I remember walking many times with a soda can that I stepped on sideways so it would stay on the bottom of my shoe like wearing a high heeled shoe.  We biked sometimes too.  Sparks used to let us leave our bikes out at there shed so they would be safe....I remember being late one day and riding as hard as I could then jumping off the bike to run for the bus and fell flat on my face because my legs were still pumping the bike.....I think I tried to wave the bus away figuring I would die of embarrassment.  (Maybe the bike riding came when I was going alone.) 
The nice thing about our walk was there were no other houses and Mom could probably see us the whole way down the road.  There wasn't much traffic back then either.  We also could usually see the bus coming for at least a half mile.
One time I was almost the last rider on the bus and so the new driver was going to take us to our doors...I told him that would work since our lane was a big U ... well it is a big U and my dad could drive anything around it but the bus driver was not impressed and had a hard time turning into the lane without going into the ditch.....even the U isn't wide enough for a school bus I guess because he never did it again.
I think the grade school was just two and a quarter miles away but the high school was closer to seven miles, by bus it took about 45 minutes....my siblings will have to correct me on the distance ( I really never paid much attention).  We did get to drive to high school quite a bit because of early morning seminary...I remember Dale driving the pink rambler so I think everyone drove for the most part Dave and I had the green Datsun to drive.  We did get our licenses at 14 years of age with the restriction of no night driving.  One of the perks of living on a farm.
I don't know how Julie went since there was traffic and we had the extra car etc.

1 comment:

mcewen16 said...

I walked to elementary school in California, since there were lots of siblings and neighborhood kids to walk with. The most memorable part was sometimes being able to stop by the QuikStop (kind of like a 7-11, but smaller) to get $0.10 Jolly Rancher sticks or other candy. I seem to remember this distance feeling so far as a kid, but when I went back to the area as an adult on a business trip, the walk was really not so bad! I'm terrible at estimating mileage, though, so I won't go there. Elementary school in Idaho was REALLY close, so I walked there, too. Junior High, I took a bus, and high school I either walked, drove, or was driven. It's only about a mile or so. The California days seem to be the most memorable in terms of school transportation...We had a good group of kids to hang out with!