Here is another trip that brought great memories ....
However the real purpose of this blog post is that I really enjoyed going over Dad and Mom's pictures of their trip to Hawaii back in 1975 ... They visited Dale's family he was posted there while in the Navy.
I remember being a little bit jealous that soon as I moved out of the house to go to BYU my parents and little sister got to go on trips ... Hawaii and then Kansas ... not that I would give up the camping and things that we got to do before.
And as my kids have found it is the way it is....
Shots out the window of the plane
If it works the 1975 pictures should be on the left and my pictures from our more recent trips are on the right. ( It didn't work that way in my first post so I will make a few modifications) (modifications again sorry if you are following because it makes it show up multiple times but I hate it not going where I want it to go ... however I just remembered that it goes differently on different sized screens anyway.}
Mom told me that Aunt Florence wouldn't get in the water, wouldn't get in the water ... then when she did they couldn't get her out. Everyone else was done and ready to go but not her.
I too love the flowers of Hawaii ... however this one of Dad & Julie holding the Hibiscus is priceless now.
The difference here was they could go up by the Temple ... where because of current construction we took pictures from a distance but the trees were the same....



Here are pictures from the Polynesian center where even the faces seemed to be the same..
When keeping tradition alive it makes for similar experiences ... which I love that we all got to experience it similarly.
Even the attraction of Black Swans ....
... the camera and passing of time sure makes a difference in color and clearness ... actually old slides scanned in came out amazing considering.
I found it interesting that some of the same things that impressed them also impressed me 30 years or so later ...
No, I had not really seen these pictures before I took my own ... Except for the ones out the plane window .... I had not thought of doing that until I saw theirs and it turned out reasonably well.
I guess this post doesn't encourage comments ... which has been my underling purpose but so far Karen and her family are the only ones that pay any attention. Thanks Brittany and Karen.
I know it is just ramblings but I am enjoying it and it gives me reason to go back over the pictures which really brings delight now that they are not all sitting in a box.
















3 comments:
I do pay attention, Kayleen! Even when I don't comment... :) I think it's awesome that you have such similar pictures! Maybe someday I'll get over there to take my own set.
I love reading the blog, I'm just not the best at leaving comments. Thanks for keeping the blog current.
In fact I took a picture of Dale heading on his bike to fulfill the 50 mile ride requirment for his cycling merit badge to show the boy scouts that I work with how times and bikes have changed. We completed our 50 mile ride two weeks ago.
Andy McEwen
Kayleen, this is awesome! I loved seeing the Hawaii pictures side by side. Thanks!
Post a Comment