Sunday, December 19, 2010

Journal Jar -- Temple

Describe your feelings the first time you went to the temple. What are your feelings now when you attend the temple?
I think maybe the first time I went was from the other side when my family to be went for the first time....so I don't remember. Dave was the baby in Mom's arms.
We may have gone while I was growing up but again I don't remember and since Idaho Falls was the closet temple we may not have either. So the first time I should remember is going over when I was in Mutual and we went to do baptisms for the dead...
We would take a greyhound bus and leave at midnight so that we would be there for the 6 am appointment time. It was always a fun ride over and very quiet on the way home when everyone finally slept. One time the bus broke down and we spent a few hours in Blackfoot Idaho....there was not much there. It was always special and spiritual but I don't remember much now. I did always try to get in touch with my twin cousin Vi Ann Steele. One time I asked to go outside to the visitors center so I could call her They would not let me go out without a leader ... however they took me to a phone where I could make the call from in the temple. (I remember I saw a bride and thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and knew that that was the only way to go) I guess I was where I shouldn't have been but it left a lasting impression on me for the good.
I did get to be a bride at that very temple years later!!! This is our wedding pictures .. a little different from today's idea of wedding pictures. I was lucky that a brother took this picture. Yes, it was snowing.
So, as an adult my first experience was the week before Gerald and I were married. Luckily the ward had a temple trip already planned so we were able to ride the bus over from midnight on. So I could spend the time with Gerald to and from with many chaperone's. The rest of the ward went to do Temple work while Gerald and I went to do paperwork, etc. I remember sitting in the hallway waiting and a member of the presidency (I think) came by and stopped to shake our hands and say, "Thank you for your sacrifice to be here."
I had a hard time keeping my chin off the floor .. I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. What SACRIFICE this was the BLESSING, the GOAL, the BEAUTY, the gift of God to US.
Now I understand but I am very grateful that living so that I could go to the Temple wasn't a sacrifice to me.
This is our current Temple and it is only 2 hours away instead of 5 - 6. It is always beautiful weather. This is how it looked Dec 17, 2010 at night. Still beautiful weather.
We were in Boise for the Boise Temples dedication but moved a year later so that was the nearest we have lived to a Temple so far. Right now I think the most beautiful celestial room I have experienced has been the Las Vegas Temple. However, everyone that I have been to has special meaning and experiences attached.
As to how I feel now when attending .. I am still amazed at the blessing it is in my life and still don't feel like it is a sacrifice to be there. I am grateful to have the opportunity in this life to commune and approach our Heavenly Father in His Holy House.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

Actually through my work I see what living a life that would keep me from the Temple could be like and it isn't tempting in any way. The hurt and harm that comes from drugs, alcohol, promiscuous living is so damaging to body and spirit. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life from the beginning so that I was able to avoid those experiences.