Sunday, October 9, 2011

Journal Jar - Describe your childhood Bedroom

Describe your childhood bedroom. What was the view from your window?

In answer to the first part of the question.....messy
No fault of my Mom or my sister....one funny story from our childhood was one time Mom decided she would do what she could to encourage us to clean up our rooms so she made a sign of a pig to put on the worst room ... anyway just like she always did she made it a cute pig so we kind of wanted it on our door.
 Karen and I shared a room most of the time while growing up ... at one point we shared a big iron double bed ... I rememer it was a cold floor when we got up and that Mom put pears on a cardboard underneath it to ripen in the fall (so the room must not have been too messy)


When Dad added on the north end of the house Karen and I shared this room with built in closets and drawers ... After Karen left one fall I took all my ran runned (what is the right way of saying) ruined nylons and then I completed the runs and made a huge spider web out of them in my room getting in and out was interesting....
I spent some time in the upstairs bedroom where I could read half the night without  anyone noticing the light however I did get visited with spiders up there more I think.  I remember laying on my bed one night reading off the end .. with the book on the floor and all of a sudden the bed was shaking....I wasn't even aware that I had seen a spider come towards my book but my body knew.   The spider died.
The view out the bedroom window pretty much no matter which bedroom was lawn or a field.  This picture above actually was the view after I moved out ... but it shows that there was always something growing.
Karen and I also had a turn upstairs not in the new section but above the kitchen...the kids no it as the toy room.  Anyway two memories from that bedroom...one was a huge fuzzy gray spider that Karen luckily tried to kill and hopefully did but when she swung the shoe (or something like that at it) it disappeared in the crack where the peaked ceiling came together.  I had nightmares for along time of it coming back out.  (I don't think I ever saw another like it though so it must have died.
The other memory was of flying....I got up in the night and went to climb down the steps (yes, the fold up steps) and found a blanket or something so I slipped and flew down the steps...no problem until I got to the bottom.  I don't remember any other part of that story ... maybe I just got up and went to the bathroom and then back up the stairs.  However, knowing my drama as a child I must have woken up the whole house.
A couple of secrets on my siblings is that Karen and Dave used to have photos of famous people in their bedroom cupboards.  I also remember Dave and Larry had a taped line running down the room separating each others side that was when they were where the laundry room was at the end.  (Karen said we did it too but I don't remember)
I just discovered that bedrooms are full of great memories.

No comments: