Sunday, June 24, 2012

Favorite Subject in school

Journal Jar - What were your favorite subjects in school? What was your major in College?

As most things it all depends on the year, the teacher, and the thought of the moment. I think my favorite subject that lasted through the school years would be PE (physical education). I loved to play most sports, I loved tumbling, I loved out doors activities, I actually took PE each year through high school too until my senior year (the only reason I didn't take it that year is the teacher changed).
In grade school we had a great teacher that liked kids (Mrs. Farmer - 4th grade teacher) she spent her lunch hour with us on the play ground umpiring baseball so that we learned the rules along with playing. She was killed my 5th grade year serving as crossing guard for the kids walking home, a driver wasn't paying attention and panicked when she saw kids hit the brakes and spun out of control on the slick wintry road and skidded clear across the highway into the fence penning Mrs Farmer to the fence.)
My sister, Karen was on the tumbling team in high school so I learned from her early on how to stand on my head etc ... so in grade school I was good at things other kids couldn't do (that helped me) Don't get me wrong I couldn't do many other things that others could do. I also enjoyed art classes. . I love learning all kinds of things but I don't like being graded or I guess I don't take test well so grades were a bane.  I still love learning as long as it is my choice.
I loved learning about the state of Idaho.  It still has a very special place in my heart. I can still sing some of the state song etc.

 I do not remember sitting and reading any "thick books", until the fifth grade .  Mrs Spinks was my fifth grade teacher and must have felt it was important, important enough that she actually let me go back at the back of the class and read a book during class time.  (I remember laying on the floor back there and reading Nancy Drew mysteries .... no one else was allowed or was back there, I don't remember now why I was allowed ... I know it wasn't because I was fast or good at my other school work)  I remember going to the Junior high library well, it was the high school's library too, anyway it was a "large library" and I couldn't wait to see the rest of Nancy Drew books....I was very disappointed that they had none and when I asked they said, "those were kids books so they wouldn't have them."  That was disappointing.
 I did go on to volunteer as a librarian anyway. (The above was an article in the paper about Midway school getting a library.  That is Mrs Spinks in the middle front.)
 I love music too, this was the teacher that made that difference.  I can't believe I sang solo's for competition, I do not know what magic she held.  (I never did very well at them, I am not my brother Dave)   However it continues to bless my life. 
I did better when there was art mixed with learning.  (I had a whole booklet with poems and pictures - I spent a lot of time going through magazines and looking for a picture to match the poem - amazingly for a school assignment) *amazingly because I remember being assigned a book to read, I did not read it until after the test, the dumb thing is that then I loved it and read all the books by the same author and subject. 
Education was always mixed with bad..usually my own fault...I took an astronomy class that I thought I would love because I love the stars and learning but that was a huge mistake.  The first week they had us choose a term paper topic---I knew nothing so I thought hum, I would like to know more about black holes, so I chose that.  Well, my grade was pitiful and the instructor said, "it doesn't seem that you understand much about black holes"  WELL NEITHER DID ANY OF THE SOURCES.
Writing and English is my worst subjects .... as you can tell if you made it this far and have read any of my blog postings.  I was made to walk up in front of the whole class in 3rd grade and give myself and F, I have never forgotten that I fail at those two subjects.  I won't let it stop me anymore, however it is why I put pictures in the blog whenever possible.
My major in College was ... Home Ec education....my class load though represented my thoughts above that I like learning and have a hard time conforming to programs or grades.    Geology and Zoology were great classes.   Well, this post was scattered enough even for me....that is enough.

No comments: