Monday, June 4, 2012

Volunteer

Journal Jar - As a young person did you ever volunteer for work in church, community, or social services?

I don't think I ever out right volunteered, I did check into being a candy striper at one point.  However luckily volunteering to serve was easy in the church.  We were often involved in helping others, canning, hoeing the fields etc.

We cleaned homes, babysat kids, visited nursing homes, dug a swimming pool, cleaned and built the church.  The church farm brought many together hoeing the beets, and because it wasn't too far a way from home Dad did the tractor work too most often.  We also would go to Boise to work in the cannery during out weekend of canning.  I remember Dad having the responsibility to get people to go up to can and used many different ways to encourage a yes answer.  Like you can speak in church or the up coming funeral or come help at the cannery.
Over in the left hand side it the swimming pool that we helped to dig.

No comments: