Sunday, February 10, 2013

Plane, Train, or Boat

Journal Jar – Tell about your most memorable trip by plane, train or ship.

I think I will tell about the firsts of each of trips of those three different kinds of travel.

My first plane ride came in 1977.   I had applied for a dishwasher job at Mercy hospital in Nampa and got a dietician aide job instead. If I would work for 6 months instead of the 3 months of summer, between semesters, that I had planned to work.  It was a good deal and a great experience.
However I missed my roommates and the activities of the fall so I used one of my pay checks to buy a ticket to Salt Lake City, my roommates came to pick me up and we went to the Green River gorge for a river rafting trip and weekend of fun. It was fun but looking back it may have been a waste of money. I don’t know, maybe it wasn't a waste of money after all.

 Now, the plane ride went fine.  I felt some turbulence for the first time but it wasn't bad and it was amazing to get all the way to Utah in a half an hour.  I still prefer window seats when I fly so that I can look down on a miniature world. Flying is a wonderful blessing.


The first train ride I ever went on was in the second grade where we went on a field trip to Boise, the capital and took a little train ride. I remember we were supposed to do it. I don’t really remember anything about it now. The second and so far last train ride I have been on was here in Tucson going from here to Bisby a little mining town southeast of here. It again was for one of my child’s school field trip. I enjoyed exploring all the different cars, the sleeper car is so small but had everything needed. I really hope to go on a train ride here in the future. I think I would really like it. Maybe the famous train ride in Canada. Oh, I forgot I also rode the train up Provo canyon I think and a few little ones in the zoo.  I am having doubts about the first train ride.....we could not have ridden in a box car but that is what I remember climbing into.  I must be dreaming.

The first “ship” ride didn’t come until 2012 when Gerald and I went to the Allure of the seas. However, my first boat ride on the ocean was in 1976 from California out to the Catalina Island I spent most of my time standing on the forward deck watching the ocean and feeling the wind blowing in my face. I did it at first to avoid seasickness but when I didn’t get sick I did it just because it was so beautiful and felt so wonderful.
 


I can't believe how big ships have become.

No comments: