Thursday, November 7, 2013

Driving Trip

Journal Jar-Tell about a driving trip with your family.

     The driving trip that comes to mind first, was the trip taking Dale to college in Denver Colorado.  I don't really remember the drive there but the drive home was magical.   Denver it's self was quite amazing too, being the biggest city I had ever been in.  (Well, that I remembered, I guess the cities in California were probably bigger.)  We went to a building with an elevator!!! and we went to the top of the building!  I don't remember for sure but I think it was 33 stories high, which is the highest I had ever been, and Denver was the furthest east I had ever been until way after I was married.
    On a side note I think that was the Christmas Dale came home by train so we sat in the train station for what seemed hours (I remember laying down on the wood benches trying to sleep) He also brought Julie a giant pink teddy bear, and most importantly he had a job in a candy factory where they allowed you to eat as much candy as you wanted.  (Dale said that it was easy to eat quite a bit the first day and then you get so sick you don't even think of eating any more there after) He brought some of the candy home and it was soooo good (some kind of caramel stuff, I think).
     The drive home was our family vacation for the year so we had packed up the tents and camping stuff and headed home going through the northern part of Colorado into Wyoming etc.  I remember three things that made it magical.  One was that Wyoming had fireworks, little balls to through on the ground that popped, and my brother's favorite was the ones that had a little string on both sides so that you tied it to a door or something like that and it would pop when pulled or opened.  The other thing was fizzy tablets.  Tablets about the size a quarter and when dropped in water made soda.  We had glass soda bottles and could drop a tablet in the bottle filled with water and have soda over and over again. (a child's dream)  The third thing I remember was the tunnels, I don't know why there were so many and my memory may be clear off but I remember that there were more than ten tunnels on the way home. 
      Maybe that is why I love tunnels so much.  There is one on the way to Cascade that is the shortest train tunnel in the world.  It has always been a landmark I watch for.  I also like going on I-10 in Phoenix because there is a manmade tunnel.  I drove into Zion's twice just to go though the mile long tunnel.
    Anyway that is the memories that comes from the question about a family driving trip.  Here is a picture of a car trip, I am surprised I look so happy since I really did get car sick just going 7 miles to church, however we didn't have to sit in car seats or really have seatbelts on back then. 
The picture below this one is what age we were for the trip described above.
The picture below is the age we were for the trip to Denver.   
I particularly like the picture above because I see my grandkids faces in these above. . the cheesy grin, the totally sad look, the closed eyes, the pure enjoyment of the moment, the steady look at the camera.  We all had and have personalities and they come out in photos then and now.
 I know there was a picture taken from the top of the building in Denver, but I can't seem to find it now.
This picture is from another road trip to California.  Another tunnel this time through a tree, I think this one goes with the picture of me in the car up above.  At least it is the same car and I know I was young, when we went to California.  I think this is the trip that Dave woke up about a quarter of a mile away from home and asked, "are we there, yet?" 

No comments: