I was thinking in church today about family history and I realized how little I knew of my Dad's dad, so my kids know even less. Growing up he lived just up the street from us. He was a quiet hard working farmer, tall and kind.
He had the tall genes at least for my boys.
This is a picture of his Dad and siblings.
The above picture is how I remember his the most.
I know he was a proud farmer. It was hard for him to sell the farm to my Dad and used to watch my Dad farm from his front room window with the biggest binoculars I have ever seen.
He loved to play checkers. He had prostate cancer and the surgery messed with his emotions because I remember him walking down to our house and when I went to walk with him he was crying, it scared me to see a grown man cry so I remember running ahead to tell my Mom that Granddad was coming and he was crying.
I am thankful for him raising such a fine son to me my Dad.
Other things I know of him was that he loved fishing, hunting, horseback riding even more than my Dad.
He died in a car accident. He thought he could see but a A frame sign was put out on the sidewalk blocking more than he thought. So in 1978 he was broadsided by a lady. Grandma was in the car but on the other side so was OK.
I learned about non LDS funerals, one the preachers all were paid. One came out of retirement and asked for the privilege of speaking at one of the charter members funeral and then sent a bill. I was rather surprised. I also remember that we were told the casket was waterproof and would keep out the elements for 70 years...like we were going to check. It was meant to comfort but that did not bring comfort at all. Granddad was my first family member that I knew and loved to die. I was sad but thankful for the teachings of life after death.
I was thinking about this accident during church today....family history. A thought came about we believe we can see clearly in life but we really don't.






No comments:
Post a Comment