Monday, June 1, 2015

Two Houses

When Robert and Lecia got married they moved into a little house that was beside a larger house.  Frank and Ottie, my Grandparents, lived in the larger house.  It certainly wasn't easy living that close to your in-laws especially where religion was concerned.
I love the extra things in the pictures.  In the first one you can see milk cans of the style we used even when I was growing up.  I think this picture was taken because they are preparing to take down the big tree.   I just saw for the first time that it looks like Mom had just stepped out of the little green home.  The cement post was also still there when I was growing up.
This next picture has Dave and Karen in it after a fire, they were being firemen I guess.  It shows the little house a bit closer.  If Dave is that big I am not far away so we lived in a pretty small place for many years.
 This picture shows there was more space between than I thought.  It also shows some great old vehicles.   I also had to smile to see the ladder in the same place in the snow as in the summer.  (I wonder if the roof had a leak?)
 I put the next one in because it shows the windows which gives perspective on the following inside shot of Mom (Lecia) in her kitchen.  It also shows that Dad (Robert) was successfully farming.  I also enjoyed seeing the garden in the back where I used to climb apple trees and sit and eat the apples on a hot day.  Meadow Larks used to call from that area too.  Notice that a tractor is parked where the chicken coop and lawn was later, at least I think that is the right facing.  (I have the wrong facing and for now can't get it straight.
 The kitchen was bright.  It is hard to imagine cooking for 5 in that little space.
 Granddad and Grandma's home was bigger...it was moved up the road about a quarter of a mile.
 I like seeing the poplar tree and pine tree, and the hedge.  I remember the many birds that loved the hedge.
 Here is the move depicted in several different pictures.


 Dale tells a fun story about the moving day and a disconnected bathroom.

It amazes me what they were able to do relatively by themselves.  Now I am amazed at what my Dad was able to with that little green home by adding on.  Dad also moved the shop from in front of the house down to where it was at the end.  Here is the add on that I remember Granddad and Dad building.  I ran outside to show my Dad that I lost a tooth.  He was in the soon to be living room only at the time there were no walls.  This shows the home before the siding was put on.
  It is also a picture of a DeCoursey family reunion.  Mom is sitting with Julie on her lap in middle.  Don (Uncle Earle's son) is sitting with sunglasses on. It looks like Wesley and Verda were visiting because I believe it is Verda standing on the left.  Grandma (Ottie) is the other standing.  Rowena is blocked by Mom.  Susanne and I am on the quilt...I know you can't see and I don't know for sure but I remember it, I think.
 

2 comments:

Karen said...

Kayleen, I think Mom and Dad's original house was even smaller than in that first picture. The "kitchen" that later was the carport-side entry to the house wasn't there when they were first married. And Mom said they only had a fold-down daveno for a bed and an orange crate for a cupboard. Humble beginnings!

Karen said...

Funny about the ladder in the corner!!