Saturday, December 25, 2021

My brother three ---

 The sibling closet to me and one I absolutely adore he has always been my hero.  

He was just a baby when my parents were finally sealed in the Idaho Falls Temple.  I love this picture but and it reminds me that we live in different times.  I am glad that Dad thought to take a picture of this great event, but it is sad nobody thought to take a picture with him in it too.  Money for film and then developing it though was reason enough to not take lots of pictures. This is mom with her kids and sister, and parents.
Unlike his older brothers he was a bit unlucky.  Here is what happens if you run after your dad who is jumping into a pickup truck and doesn't know you are coming.  Luckily it was only a broken leg.
It may not have been luck; it may just be that he had two older brothers doing things that he should be able to do just a well.
(my oldest brother had a broken leg too -- he got his in the second grade at school going down a slide with his legs hanging over the edge of the slide.  his teacher told him to quit fussing and get up and into the classroom - she had a problem with boys.)
This brother let me think I was helping and included me in the fun.
He also didn't get to do everything his older brothers got to do.  At a family reunion they were allowed to go off and play with cousins and he had to stay behind, me too.  Disappointed but not without ideas, the forest we were camping in had mushrooms of all kinds and so he created a mossy place and collected all the different kinds he could find.
He also had curly hair - mine was even in curlers to get the bit of wave below.  Brother number two kept his short, short so it wouldn't curl.  
I didn't think Dave was particularly athletic, but I was wrong as this picture shows.  I do know that he didn't love football nor wrestling like his older brothers.  It was kind of lucky that he got some growths on his knees that he had to have surgically removed and discovered choir in the meantime.  
The choir teacher absolutely loved him, and so took me under her wing too until she realized I didn't have the same abilities.  We were in operettas and such at school.
One thing I love about my brother is that he dreams big and usually finds away.
A school class of some sort took a fieldtrip to the Oregon or Washington coast, Puget Sound.  He took a cooler and was allowed to bring back some anemones and ocean animals.  He got a 50-gallon tank and kept them alive for a long time.  I remember growing baby shrimp, digging worms and other things to feed them.  That started aquariums which he had many of where he hatched fancy guppies, swordfish, and many other things.  Here is one picture of his angelfish.  
He wanted to raise pigeons - built a coop up in the top of the barn.  Then trapped a pair or two from an overpass area and raised them.  The same with a magpie that could almost talk - it scared a few people that visited because it would try to land on a shoulder.
He has this kestrel tamed too.  It went wild again on a trip to Ketchum Idaho.  Apparently it really liked the area and when it was time to leave it didn't come back in time.  


Here he is Captain Von Trapp getting married to Maria - I was a nun.
This was a house on the hill north of the BYU stadium, he made friends with the owner and rented this house - after the owner died, he almost was able to develop the hill.  Almost - the dreams were big but didn't always work out as planned.  (Often because of a partner)
Then he finally found a wonderful partner that would help do the greatest things and dreams.



Finally got his own place and has a yard to be jealous of.
These pictures are from when the yard was first planted, now it is grown and beautiful.
He is a great big brother, creative, kind, faithful .. Prostate cancer that was supposed to take his life and luckily has not.  I love you.

No comments: